A Proud History 

 

bw42

We can trace our origins back to 1898 or thereabouts, when Walter Henry Wilson and his brother, Frederick Wilson, after many years apprenticeship and working for others decided to start a business on their own manufacturing plumbers brass work.

They bought a small factory in Eldon Road, Wood Green (North London) where they set up a brass foundry and machine shop powered by a gas engine, under the name of Wilson Brothers.

Barber Wilsons & Co Ltd came into being in 1908 with Walter Wilson as Managing Director. By the late 20s and early 30s, Barber Wilsons were commissioned to make special fittings for the new London Dorchester hotel, which was being built. It was to be the start of a long and successful relationship, the start of Barber Wilson supplying quality plumbing to the top hotels.

In the late 1970’s Barber Wilson were approached by an interior designer refurbishing Victorian terraced houses. He wanted to put in period bathrooms complete with roll top cast iron baths and new traditionally designed brass taps. Barber Wilsons’ old catalogues were full of such fittings, which had not been made for 40 or 50 years. The old patterns were dusted off and the first of our now highly successful traditional taps range were produced. This has gradually increased to become 90% of our entire output.

John Wilsons, pictured above with shower fitting, was awarded Queen Elizebeth II’s Royal Warrant in 2005, it is now held by Simon Wilson. We are the choice of the Queen of England as we were for The Queen Mother before her.

We are proud of our history and confident about the future. We will continue to make taps that don’t come back for customers who do. That’s simply what we do.

A detailed history of Barber Wilson from its origins to the start of the current millennium, written by Oscar Nicholson (Nick) Wilson can be found here <link>

Copyright © Dandelion by Pexeto